December 1, 2014 -
Equitable Life has been recognized as one of Waterloo Area’s Top Employers for the seventh year in a row.
Now entering its eighth year, this local competition organized by the editors of Canada's Top 100 Employers recognizes organizations in the Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph area that lead their industries in offering exceptional places to work.
“At Equitable, we understand that work life isn’t just about performing a job,” says Chris Brown, VP, Human Resources. “It’s about creating a workplace that helps our employees grow and reach their full potential. Having engaged employees is one of our core values. That’s why we invest in our people through wellness programs and career development and provide opportunities to make a difference both in the organization and the community.”
Employers are evaluated using eight criteria that include the physical workplace; work and social atmosphere; health, financial and family benefits; vacation and time off; employee communications; performance management; training and skills development; and community involvement. Employers who submit nominations are compared to other organizations in their field to determine which offers the most progressive and forward-thinking programs.
In awarding this recognition, the competition cited Equitable Life because it is an organization that:
- offers great financial rewards including year-end bonuses for some employees, and referral bonuses for employees who refer a candidate that is successfully hired by the organization (from $500 to $1,000)
- supports ongoing employee education with tuition subsidies for job-related courses and also offers financial bonuses for some course completion
- helps employees save for the longer term with contributions to a defined contribution pension plan, and that employees enjoy a health benefits plan
- supports the employee social committee, called the "Lighthouse Committee" and first established in 1965, that hosts a number of social events every year, including Christmas parties and an annual golf tournament that includes dinner and prizes for all employees
- encourages employees to get involved in their community with paid time off to volunteer with charitable organizations and matching charitable donations
About Equitable Life of Canada
Canadians have turned to Equitable Life since 1920 to protect what matters most. We work with independent advisors across Canada to offer individual insurance, savings and retirement and group benefits solutions to meet your needs.
But we’re not your typical financial services company. We have the knowledge, experience and ability to find solutions that work for you. We’re friendly, caring and interested in helping. And we’re owned by our participating policyholders, not shareholders. So we can focus on your interests and on providing you with personalized service, security and wellbeing.
Media Relations Contact:
Director of Corporate Communications