The power of together
At Equitable, we believe in the power of working together. It's a mindset that drives our behaviours, decisions, and actions to deliver impact and positive outcomes for our clients, advisors, partners, each other, and the communities we cherish.
Together with advisors and partners across Canada, we offer Individual Insurance, Group Insurance and Savings and Retirement solutions. To help our clients protect today and prepare tomorrow.
Always focused on our clients
Our refreshed look is a testament to our commitment to our purpose and our future. Wherever you see our logo you will know our commitment. We are always focused on our clients for a lifetime.
Delivering impact and positive outcomes
Together, with advisors and partners, we will look for new ways to deliver even greater positive impact.
Our commitment to employees
We empower our team with tools and a culture of continuous learning.
Ensuring everyone at Equitable is equipped to excel and make a difference every day.
Our commitment to our communities
We believe in the power of investing in the communities that our clients, partners and our people cherish.
Click here to learn more about Equitable in the community.
Built on a century of trust and distinction as one of Canada’s largest federally regulated mutuals, our roots run deep. Our beginnings date back to November 1920, when Sydney Tweed started The Ontario Equitable Life and Accident Insurance Company in a second-floor office in Waterloo, Ontario. A philosophy of growth and a commitment to our policyholders was instilled from the beginning. Within the first week, the Company had a solid footing with $300,000 of insurance in force. By the end of the first year, the Company had more than $1 million of insurance in force, a record unequaled by any Canadian life insurance company at that time. During the Great Depression, the Company pioneered an inexpensive family income policy offering security to families during insecure times. In 1936, the name changed to The Equitable Life Insurance Company of Canada, a company that was created by Canadians, for Canadians from coast to coast.
- 1920: The Equitable Life and Accident Insurance Company was founded by Sydney Tweed in Waterloo, Ontario.
- 1936: The company name was changed to The Equitable Life Insurance Company and the first participating insurance product was sold.
- 1963: One of the first insurance companies in Ontario to be granted permission from the government to develop a plan to mutualize.
- 1957: Began selling registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs).
- 1962: Began selling insurance for medical care.
- 1980’s: First insurer in Canada to offer reduced insurance rates for non-smokers.
- 2020: Marked our 100th anniversary with a commitment to being here for another 100 years.
- 2023: Adopted the shortened brand name Equitable as part of a rebrand to reflect a renewed purpose, commitment to a mutual structure, focus on clients and continued development of strong partnerships.
The Equitable Life Insurance Company of Canada is a member of Assuris. The not for profit organization that protects Canadian policyholders in the event their life insurance company fails. Details about Assuris' protection are available at www.assuris.ca or by calling the Assuris Information Centre at 1.866.878.1225.