- Reports to
- Manager, Life & Disability Claims
- Waterloo, ON
- Job Status
- Permanent, Full-Time
If you love helping people and have a passion for delivering exceptional customer service, you’d be a great fit for our team. That’s because at Equitable Life, we believe in providing personalized service and support to our plan sponsors and plan members. Our plan sponsors rely on us to deliver creative solutions as we help their staff in their recovery and return to work from an injury or illness. If you have experience in disability adjudication or in a related disability or mental health profession and you want to have a positive impact on the lives of our plan members, we want you to join our company.
We’re looking for a polished communicator who can develop creative solutions to complex problems. Someone who is empathetic and has a natural service orientation. A collaborator who can work with others towards a common goal. If that’s you, why not explore a career as a Disability Claims Specialist at Equitable Life?
- Analyze medical, functional, employment and contractual information in order to make timely and accurate decisions on STD claims.
- Continually manage open STD claims using proficient problem solving and analytical skills and creating opportunities for timely resolution of the claims.
- Calculate benefits payable and make adjustments as required throughout the course of the STD claims. (i.e. offset for CPP Disability Benefits and calculating overpayments, etc.).
- Identify and implement cost effective case management tools to assist disabled employees (e.g. Rehabilitation Intervention, Functional Abilities Evaluations, Independent Medical Examinations, Medical Consultant Referrals).
- Provide superior written and verbal customer service with accuracy.
- Maintain well-documented, clear and concise files.
- Frequently communicate with plan sponsors, plan members, advisors, Group Marketing Managers, medical professionals, legal professionals.
- Work collaboratively with underwriting, actuarial, group accounts to effectively manage the block of business.
- Actively participate in client meetings.
- Proficiently de-escalate volatile emotional situations mostly by phone.
- Identify process improvement opportunities and participate in key projects.
- Bilingual in French and English, spoken and written is required
- experience adjudicating disability claims is required
- Education/experience in the medical field (i.e. nursing, kinesiology, etc.) is beneficial
- Proficient problem solving skills
- Thorough knowledge of insurance operations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficient decision-making skills
- Complex knowledge of various group contracts helpful
- Computer literacy skills
- Effective negotiating and conflict management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and strong customer service skills
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills
- Willingness to embrace new strategies, approaches and ideas
- Ability to proactively manage/schedule a fluctuating and unpredictable workload
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter, including salary expectations, and resume in one MSWord document to email@example.com
If applying to multiple positions, please apply to each position separately.
At Equitable Life, we are committed to providing equal access to employment opportunities across our organization. Please contact our HR team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation with the application process, including for a request to receive our job postings in an alternative format.